If you loved this article and you would like to acquire extra info pertaining to little puppies go to our webpage. --> http://iheartpuppies.net
Bulldogs: the wrinkly, roly-poly balls of fun, with their floppy jowls and goofy underbites, are easily recognizable. Today’s version of this pup is usually so friendly and happy-go-lucky, you’d never guess the original purpose they were bred for. Intrigued? Read on.
If you love these stout, snorting goofballs and want to learn more, read on. Here are 9 fun facts that you may not have known before!
1. English Bulldogs (predictably) originated from England for the cruel “sport” of bull baiting, in which the dogs were trained to attack a tethered bull until one of the animals died. Luckily, this barbaric “entertainment” was outlawed in 1835. (Animal Planet)
3. While the original members of this breed were vicious, modern Bulldogs have been bred to possess a much more docile personality, but they can still be stubborn! (Animal Planet) However, the American Kennel Club (AKC) describes modern Bulldogs as “calm, friendly, and courageous.”
4. In fact, their personalities are so agreeable–often with adults, children, and other pets alike (as always, evaluate dogs on anindividual basis)–they’ve been ranked as the 4th most popular dog breed for the past two years in a row on the AKC’s annual list.
5. Don’t throw a Bulldog into the pool (or any dog, for that matter)! They generally aren’t good swimmers due to their short legs and heavy, stocky bodies.
6. Bulldogs are a brachycephalic breed, “meaning to have a short, broad head,” explainsPetMD. This makes them susceptible to breathing problems. It’s also a reason that they snort and tend to have a lot of gas, a result of heavy mouth-breathing, according toAnimal Planet.
8. The Bulldog was bred with loose skin so it could continue fighting even when held by a competitor’s jaws. We now love those wrinkles because they’re adorable, but they do require daily cleaning to prevent infection. (Animal Planet)
9. Bulldogs are great companions that don’t need a ton of exercise to stay satisfied, so if you lead a laid-back life, this could certainly be your dog!
Interesting! Are you as impressed as this guy?
If you cherished this article and you would like to receive more info pertaining to puppies nicely visit our own web-page.